Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Sixth Man Award


Lakers vs. Trailblazers Game 7 Conference Finals

The greatest game I have ever been to and I played a largely unknown but pivotal part in the victory. Let me set the scene…

The Lakers, after years of pretty good teams and some talent, finally put it together in the year 2000 with Kobe, Shaq, and Phil. They were ready to march to the championship until the seventh game in Los Angeles against the hated Jailblazers. I had tickets to the game somehow. They were in the top row at the end of the Staples Center, which is very far from the action.

Anyway the game was a disaster. The Blazers dominated for three quarters and it looked like the season was over, but with the Lakers down by like 15 right before the end of the third quarter, Brian Shaw banked in a three pointer.

And then the game completely changed. The Blazers could not make a basket and the Lakers were steadily gaining. People started getting excited and the people in my row noticed that every time I stood up, the Lakers would miss a basket. If I stayed seated, the ball went in. It was weird and it kept happening and more and more people began noticing. Unfortunately, everyone in the place was standing and while seated, I could not see anything. But the Lakers kept making shots and if I tried to stand up, strangers would push me back down. Somehow it worked and miraculously the Lakers pulled off one of the greatest and most stunning comebacks in history. I did not see any of the last 10 minutes from my seat but I could hear people going crazy and it was satisfying to know that I was playing a crucial role in a historic game, and I was lavishly praised at the end by the twenty people in my row. I never received credit from the Laker organization, but I also never asked for any. I just did my part to bring the championship to Los Angeles.

No comments: